Were you once a background dancer, actor, singer, or even cheerleader? Being on the periphery or behind the primary cast is a role often perceived as irrelevant. Yet, if you have ever been a background of anything at all, you could’ve easily assumed the final piece to even the most complex of puzzles.
The Background Dancer hence, covers all things off stage about the world of dance and furthermore. Intended for both newcomers and existing members of the performing arts, this weekly podcast intends to educate and acknowledge the importance of complementary pieces supporting the industry while providing essential tools to equip one with a constantly developing and demanding workplace.
Across an entire season, chosen topics will each be explored in three episodes per month. Among the major categories include art management, entrepreneurship, education, journalism, technology, wellness, fashion, politics, choreography and interdisciplinarity.
FOREGROUNDING DANCE IN THE BACKGROUND!
The primary objectives of the show also refer to the host’s core principles of community building, education, career progressionand workforce versatility:
- Create accessible and easily legible content for dance and art lovers worldwide
- Provide in-depth analysis of diverse topics from experienced and renown experts
- Educate masses about the dance and wider art ecosystem regarding its different fields
- Establish a community/platform for passionate dance contributors to share and connect
- Assist both host and audience in preparation for a post-performance/non-performing career
Dance artist, multidisciplinary producer and host Jason Yap (Dance Studio Theatre) strongly believes in the potential of a multi-faceted community of artists where multi-disciplinary collaboration, inter-generational learning and cross-cultural exchange is at its core. Yet, this can be only accomplished if the background infrastructures are better acknowledged and supported.
Happy listening and happy connecting! :)